Check In
Check Out

Chiudi Contenuti

The Historical Residence

With the alliance pact of 19th April 1202, stipulated with the Republic of Genoa, Noli reaches the height of its splendor. With the Guelph’s victory, Genoa pleads with Pope Gregorius IX to release Noli from the supremacy of Savona, on the other hand Noli had always revealed itself to be in favour of the papacy, since the time of the Oriental Crusades.

With the Papal bull of 8th December 1238, Gregorius IX makes a diocese out of Noli, separating it from the one in Savona. On 26th October 1239, Noli becomes Diocesan Centre and San Paragorius is named as Cathedral. Afterwards, in order to provide for the scarsity of incomes, insufficient to give a support to a prelate, the pontiff unites the Diocesan Centre of Noli with the Sant’Eugenio’s abbey, located on the Bergeggi Islet. Therefore the Bishop of Noli used the title of Abbat Father of Sant’Eugenio of the Ligurian Islet.

In 1572, because of the continuous conflicts with Savona and Finale, Monsignor Leonardo Trucco, Bishop of Noli, asked and obtained by the Pope Gregorius XIII to transfer the name of cathedral from San Paragorius Church located into the town walls, so safer for the believers. With the fall on the Napoleonic empire, Liguria is annexed to the Reign of Sardinai, abd vain are the attempts to maintain the ecclesiastical independence, after the death of Monsignor Benedetto Solari (1814) there are no more bishops from Noli. The bull of 9th October 1820 by Pope Pius VII “aeque principaliter” decrees that the diocese of Noli is to be annexed to the diocese of Savona, even though it will keep its own juridical personality, it is followed by the order to Monsignor Giuseppe Vincenzo Arienti to use the title of Bishop of Savona and Noli.

PLAN OF THE BUILDING
On the extreme opposite of the ancient San Paragorio cathedral, out side the town walls, but on the inside of the wall that from the Del Carretto’ Castle goes down to the sea, the Bishop’s Palace, likely to be built upon an ancient residence pertaining to a marques, that was called “caminata”, present in a 1055 document, however born from building remeltings of the “casasse”, rural habitations dating back to the 12th century, was erected.

We have no news about the original structure of the palace, the present appearance is the result of various readaptations made during the centuries. In 1554, according to the Bishop Massimiliano Doria’s will, the restoration work, which lasted for centuries, had already begun. The Bishop’s Palace, overlooking the sea, was to seat of the many bishops that followed one another in the diocese of Noli since 1239, it took more than 800 years to define its present aspect.

With the bull of 9th October 1820, Pius VII annexed Noli to the diocese of Savona; this way the Palace saw the end of its original functions. Afterwards, between 1915 and 1918 it will be used as a lodging for soldiers. In 1998, in anticipation of the restoration work, study researches were led on the three bodies of the building that characterize the whole architectural complex: the church, the halls of the bishops and the upper wing that incorporate the rest of the ancient building in which interesting portions of 15th century frescoes have been discovered.

After the restoration and functional adaptation work, the whole complex has been transformed into a unique, enchanting hotel reception and restaurant.